Carmel Friends Church in Carmel, Indiana is accepting applications for our next Senior Pastor. Our current pastor is here on a visa and must return home to Australia at the end of August, 2019. We’re looking for someone to continue and build upon the good works and ministries he has begun here, and to lead us to grow and minister in new ways.
The candidate that would fit well here would have the following qualifications:
- Overflows with the love and joy of Jesus
- Sound, Biblical basis in thought and teaching
- Sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s leading
- A stable, consistent Christian walk
- Skilled at teaching and exhortation
- Familiar with, and comfortable working within our denomination’s doctrine, form of worship, and church government (congregational). We are a Friends (Quaker) meeting and the successful applicant must understand the tenets of our denomination.
- A servant-leader heart that will care for current members, while leading us into outreach opportunities to attract new members
- Previous pastoral experience
- A seminary or religious education degree
- Operates with inclusivity and unity (we are a politically diverse church, and want our pastor to be aware that we have members who would feel alienated by preaching that assumes one correct position on the most vexing social-political issues)
- Able to recognize where our members are in maturity and teach at the appropriate level
- Able to recognize the strengths and weaknesses of our members’ talents and guide them into appropriate areas of ministry
- If married, your spouse must be supportive of you and your ministry
Duties (to be performed as able, or delegated if unable):
- The candidate would be in charge of the Sunday morning service, under the direction of our Board on Ministry and Counsel.
- The candidate would attend meetings with the Board on Ministry and Counsel (monthly), Coordinating Committee (every 2 months), and Monthly Meeting (our monthly church government meeting).
- The candidate would oversee our current ministries, as well as pioneer new ministry opportunities for our church.
- The candidate would take opportunities to be involved with our Yearly Meeting (such as speaking at summer camp or conferences.)
- The candidate would develop, train, and oversee small groups.
- The candidate would visit members who are shut-in or sick.
- The candidate should continue their Christian education through books, media, and seminars.
We are a Religious Society of Friends Church, commonly called “Quaker,” that first opened its doors in 1833. We are part of Western Yearly Meeting and Friends United Meeting, and are “Gurneyite” Friends.
We currently support several missionaries, and reach out to our community through small groups, our food pantry, Let’s Talk conversational English classes, and Messy Church for young families.
To apply send your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com